Although you may take great care of your teeth, life can sometimes surprise us with a dental emergency. These include losing teeth when playing sports, injuries during car accidents, falls, and other unforeseen events. Located in West Hartford, CT, Comprehensive Dental Care offers both preventative and urgent oral dentistry to meet your needs.
Several types of dental emergencies warrant a visit to an emergency dentist in West Hartford, CT which we treat. These are:
- Cracked and broken teeth
- Infections that have spread throughout the oral cavity
- Knocked-out teeth and fillings
Here is what you can do before you are seen by an emergency dentist:
- Contact us as soon as possible.
- If you are experiencing swelling and bleeding, apply cold compresses to the area to help slow the bleeding.
- Attempt to find the tooth if it has been knocked out of its socket. Try not to handle it too much.
- Keep the tooth moist until you see the dentist.
- Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater.
- Take an over-the-counter medication like Tylenol or Aleve to numb the pain.
Some preventative tips include:
- Always wear your mouthguard when playing sports.
- Be sure to wear a seatbelt when in a car.
- Promptly shovel snow and salt the walkway.
- Be careful of wet floors and other slippery surfaces.
- Practice good preventative dental hygiene.
It’s crucial to take your dental emergencies seriously. Ignoring a dental emergency can lead to problems eating, speaking, and sleeping. It can cause more dental difficulties in the future. To schedule a visit to Comprehensive Dental Care in West Hartford, CT, contact us at (860) 233-7514.