How your dentists in West Hartford, CT can help if you have gum disease
Gum disease is a common problem, and it can sneak up on you with little to no symptoms. All you may notice is redness in your gums, or maybe slight bleeding when you brush, floss, or eat.
You will be glad to know gum disease is completely reversible, but you need to act fast. You need to start an excellent program of oral hygiene and visit your dentist and dental hygienist regularly for a dental exam and professional cleaning.
The dentists at Comprehensive Dental Care in West Hartford, CT offer a wide range of dental services, including preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dental treatments to help you enjoy a healthy smile.
You may have gum disease if you experience:
- Gums that are red and bleeding
- Swelling, puffiness, or pain in your gums
- Gum pain when you brush, floss, or chew
- Chronic bad breath
- Receding gums resulting in root exposure
You can do a lot to prevent gum disease, including:
- Brushing after meals and before you go to bed; a sonic or electric toothbrush is often helpful to flush out bacteria and food debris.
- Flossing at least once each day; flossing cleans in between your teeth, in areas that can’t be reached with a toothbrush. For more thorough cleaning, try wrapping the floss around the widest part of your tooth as you go down in between your teeth.
- Visit your dentist at least every six to twelve months for a dental examination, including x-rays. Your dentist will examine your gums for any signs of disease and look at your x-rays for signs of bone loss, one of the key indicators of periodontal disease.
- Visit your dental hygienist at least every six to twelve months, or as directed by your dentist. Your dental hygienist will remove any soft and hard deposits on your teeth, which reduces the number of harmful bacteria causing gum and periodontal disease.
Keeping excellent oral hygiene habits along with regular visits to your dentist and dental hygienist are the best ways to prevent gum disease. To find out more about gum and periodontal disease causes, prevention, and treatment, call the dentists of Comprehensive Dental Care in West Hartford, CT at (860) 233-7514. Call today!